Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Mirch ka Saalan


BM# 72
Week: 4, Day 2
Theme: Special Theme

Mirch ka Saalan is a signature dish of Hyderabad. Sesame seeds, peanuts and tamarind are the three main ingredients which are key ingredients for Hyderabadi cuisine. The minute we talk of Mirch ka Saalan you know you are in for a delicious dish which has a amazing nutty flavor. The Mirch or the chilly used in the Saalan can be spicy or mild. I have used the big Bhavnagari chilly which is quite mild.

Mirch Ka Saalan

Ingredients
8-10 green chillies
1-2 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp peanuts
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 cup coconut
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
4 tsp tamarind water
1 cup curd
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
Few curry leaves

Method
Dry roast the sesame seeds, peanuts, coriander seeds and cumin seeds.
Saute onion, till transparent.
Make a paste of roasted seeds, sautéed onion and coconut.
Slit the green chillies and Sauté them with a pinch of salt.
Saute the ground paste along with ginger garlic paste.
Add tamarind water and curd.
Add salt and water to adjust the consistency of the gravy.
Add the sautéed chillies and garnish with half a tsp of mustard and curry leaves,



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#72



Pin It

18 comments:

  1. Forgot peanuts in ingredients, how much should we use

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been on my list for so long, yet didn't make it when I got these peppers recently!..good one..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy salan and like any variation of salan/curry with mirchi regardless of what goes into it. I never tried adding yogurt to salan. Have to try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is lipsmacking. That rich creamy dish is so inviting. Great share vaishali.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vaishali, is it 1/4 cup coconut? This recipe is on my to do list for a really long time now. Let me note it down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my mouth is just watering with this gravy ! but make this sometime soon.. Will the Bhavnagari Mirchi work with this, Vaishali ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's in my todo list for long time. Yours saalan looks so perfect and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite dish from Hyd. Looks Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very irresistible Mirch ka saalan, just want to grab that bowl. Lipsmacking here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm love the salan. Wish I can get some.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yummm!! can i have that bowl please!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband's all time fav. I make it the same way too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of my favorite dishes. You are tempting me to make it some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So scrumptious looking salan. Can finish this with a bowl of rice or biryani.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My ever favorite and I am drooling looking at your creamy saalan. Wonderful recipe Vaishali!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that creamy texture and a perfect combination with plain pulav

    ReplyDelete