Thursday, September 18, 2014

Poori - Melt in the mouth kinds


Poori is a puffed deep fried bread. I never ever thought I would ever blog about something as simple as poori. This is a special poori , this has been made in a different manner, which makes these ultra soft. So soft that they melt in the mouth.

I had never heard the word Saanth...and now when I have started reading about breads, I realize that they need some kind of starters, and this poori has been made with the same concept. The saanth acts as a starter which is made with curd, ghee ENO or egg white.This helps the poori to become super soft.

Shireen Anwar of Zaiqa on  PTV gives us this wonderful recipe and I must say this is the ultimate poori recipe . I served this Poori with Chole , Aloo Bhujia and Halwa which is served as a Sunday breakfast in Pakistan. You have to try this breakfast to believe how delicious it could be. Coming to the poori recipe...

Poori
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
Saanth

Saanth
2 tbsp curd
2 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp all purpose flour
Egg white of one egg or 1/4 tsp ENO


Mix the flours and salt.
Add the saanth and mix well with hands.
Add water gradually and bind it to a dough.
Cover and keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
Make balls, roll into discs.
Deep fry,

  
This is the breakfast that I served

Chole
( a chickpea curry made nice and tangy with tamarind pulp, and minimum oil being the specialty)

( raw potatoes simmered with spices for hours without a drop of oil)

( a semolina pudding with kewra and cardamom flavoring)

( a all purpose flour and whole wheat four puffed bread, made in a unique style)

Lassi
( a yogurt based drink)



Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Interesting, first time hearing about a starter for poori. These must belong to the bhatua family. I see these are made with all purpose flour

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a fan of deep fried foods your pooris have come out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree the pooris do look so soft!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't make pooris often -- may be once every 6 months. But your clicks and the tip of making saanth are tempting me to try these soon.
    Quick question: do these pooris absorb lot of oil??

    ReplyDelete
  5. super :-)) Pooris dont figure in my house often ! but these are delicious and i love chole with poori - nothing else comes close :-)) takes me straight to Old Delhi and Punjab !! lovely choice of country - Pakistan - for alphabet P.. it didnt even occur to me !

    ReplyDelete
  6. we love pooris in any form and shape, but adding curds makes me wonder whether the poori would turn too oily but looking at your pictures, i am assured that this is tried and tested recipe, will make it tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  7. pooris must be so soft with the starter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the method sounds so different and I have to try this one. Looks so good Vaishali...

    ReplyDelete