At breakfast the bread is enjoyed with Bigilla,butter, jam, Labneh and Date Mollasses. Bigilla is bean paste made from broad beans which is like Hummus and very very delicious.Dates are a important part of their breakfast and they eat pastries with stuffed dates.
They normally brew their coffee very thick and bitter and they take it black. While making this coffee I was reminded of my cousin who then stayed in Dubai. He had taken us to a coffee shop and ordered typical middle eastern coffee. I remember his teeth were all black after the coffee, and we couldn't help laughing. Later he told it was because the coffee was thick ! The Iraqis also serve tea and orange juice for breakfast.
So let's get to the Iraqi Breakfast that I prepared for my family.
The menu
( sautéed spinach with chick pea flour , a vegetarian Omelet )
( Arabic flatbread )
( a broad bean paste , similar to the popular hummus )
Kleja
( a date pastry)
Labneh
( Yogurt Cheese )
Cucumbers and Tomatoes
Olives
Butter
Jam
Coffee
Tea
Orange Juice
Khubz
Bigilla
Spinach Omelet
Date Pastry
This is authentic breakfast from Iraq, but I served it for dinner. I was not sure how my family would react to this , though I know that pita and hummus are a favorite and the Khubz and Bigilla were another version of the Middle East combo.
I was more than happy when everyone licked off the Bigilla bowl , and everyone raved about the Khubz. The tomatoes and cucumbers were perfect accompaniments , though I had to make some instant spinach falafels , so they could fill the Khubz pockets. Spinach Falafels? Aw !..I would have been killed if I would have clicked pics at that time, everyone was on the dining table. But I promise I shall make some day specially for you guys.
I made just one Spinach Omelet and it disappeared in seconds, a simple vegetarian healthy omelet with chick pea flour.
The Date Pastry could have been baked, but I got lazy and deep fried , though everyone liked it ,the Bigilla and Khubz overpowered . I knew it was wrong time to serve. This should have been served as a dessert and with ice cream. May be next time !